Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Writing about NetHack can be cumbersome where item names are concerned. A system of abbreviations has arisen to make this quicker:
- Instead of writing "blessed" or "cursed", write "b" or "c"
- Instead of writing the type of an item, use its symbol: "?!+=/
- Instead of writing "of", write "o"
- Instead of writing the name of an item, use its first letters
Some common examples:
- cursed potion of gain level
- blessed potion of full healing
- amulet of life saving
- spellbook of create monster
- spellbook of magic missile
- ring of slow digestion
- wand of death
- wand of wishing
This scheme is ambiguous for several items, so it's common to extend the fourth rule in cases such as:
Other popular items have developed abbreviations and acronyms of their own:
- gray dragon scale mail
- silver dragon scale mail
- any dragon scale mail
- gauntlets of power
- gauntlets of dexterity
- helm of opposite alignment
- cloak of magic resistance
- bag of holding
- unicorn horn
- finger of death spell
- The Staff of Aesculapius
- Amulet of Yendor
A few items are popular or notorious enough to have acquired a nickname: