Create monster is the result of using any of the following to summon a monster:
- scroll of create monster
- wand of create monster
- spell from spellbook of create monster
- apply a bag of tricks
- most common effect of a magic trap
- ctrl + g in wizard mode. Specify ] to create a random monster.
All of the above create the same types of monsters with the same relative probabilities as those randomly generated out of sight - in short, unspecified opponents of appropriate difficulty.
Other than that, a large number of more specialized ways to create monsters exists. See the extinctionism spoiler for a complete list; some examples are:
- summon nasties
- summon insects
- acid blobs from confused scroll of create monster
- throne looting
- fountain quaffing
- sink kicking
- engraving on tombstones
- cursed scroll of genocide
- werecreatures' help summoning
- Demon summoning
- pudding and gremlin splitting
Using "create monster" is an important part of extinctionism, because it is the fastest way to generate monsters to make extinct.