Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Drain resistance prevents the following attacks:
- The drain life monster attack. All V vampires and W wraiths have this attack, as does & Demogorgon. If the compile-time option SEDUCE is not enabled, & foocubi become level-draining monsters as well.
- The drain life ability of The Staff of Aesculapius and Stormbringer.
- Directing the spell of drain life at oneself or a monster.
- Being seduced by a & foocubus and getting a negative effect, with the compile time option SEDUCE enabled (the default). This is one of five possible negative effects.
- Suffering a god's anger through incorrect prayer or sacrifice. This is one of many possible effects.
- in SLASH'EM, being zapped by a wand of draining.
Acquiring drain resistanceEdit
Drain resistance may be acquired by:
- Wielding Stormbringer, Excalibur or the Staff of Aesculapius grants extrinsic drain resistance.
- Polymorphing into a monster with drain resistance.
Drain resistance usually acts silently. Only the lack of level drain messages indicates it is operating.
When consorting with a foocubus, the message "You have a curious feeling" indicates that you would have lost a level, but the loss was prevented by drain resistance.
In vanilla nethack, drain resistance is not especially important; this is because monsters' level drain attacks are subject to magic cancellation. By the time such monsters are encountered, most players will have a magic cancellation of 3 and a successful drain life attack will be extremely rare. Even then, a single point of experience is enough to regain the one occasionally drained level.