Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Elf is a monster attribute that indicates that a monster should be considered elven. It has many effects, but most significantly it helps determine whether your actions constitute cannibalism or same-race sacrifice.
It is easy to tell if a monster is elven, as all elven monsters with the exception of elvenking have the word elf in their name, and none that are not elven have it.
In the dungeon, you can encounter the following elven monsters:
- @ human or elf
The plain elf is not randomly generated as a monster. Elf corpses are dropped by the elf mummy and zombie, and is also found in graves left by player elves in bones. An elf monster may be created by reviving an elf corpse.
The elf attribute is used to determine the following things:
- If you are an elven player, elf monsters are more likely to be peaceful.
- Whether eating a monster is cannibalism for an elven player.
- Whether a sacrifice is of your own race for an elven player.
- What to give when wishing for the corpses of quest guardians.
- What responses to use when chatting with other roles' quest guardians (possibly created by reverse genocide or found in bones).
In the source, the elf attribute is represented by the macro M2_ELF.
The Elves sat round the fire upon the grass or upon the sawn
rings of old trunks. Some went to and fro bearing cups and
pouring drinks; others brought food on heaped plates and
"This is poor fare," they said to the hobbits; "for we are
lodging in the greenwood far from our halls. If ever you are
our guests at home, we will treat you better."
"It seems to me good enough for a birthday-party," said Frodo.
Pippin afterwards recalled little of either food or drink, for
his mind was filled with the light upon the elf-faces, and the
sound of voices so various and so beautiful that he felt in a
waking dream. [...]
Sam could never describe in words, nor picture clearly to
himself, what he felt or thought that night, though it remained
in his memory as one of the chief events of his life. The
nearest he ever got was to say: "Well, sir, if I could grow
apples like that, I would call myself a gardener. But it was
the singing that went to my heart, if you know what I mean."
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 monflag.h, line 116 monster attribute M2_ELF
- ↑ makemon.c, line 953 possibly make monsters peaceful
- ↑ peace_minded in makemon.c is monster peaceful?
- ↑ mondata.h, line 102 are these races peaceful?
- ↑ maybe_cannibal in eat.c cannibalism
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 mondata.h, line 85 compare races
- ↑ pray.c, line 1167 own-race sacrifice
- ↑ objnam.c, line 2560 wishing for corpses
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 genus in mon.c the race of a monster
- ↑ sounds.c, line 439 chatting to others' quest guardians