Fire burns organic material and boils potions and water. Objects in containers are not affected. Intrinsic fire resistance does not protect items in a players main inventory; and reflection guards them from ray attacks only, not fire traps. Some melee fire attacks can be protected against with magic cancellation. Fire occurs in NetHack in several places:
- Wands of fire
- Scrolls of fire
- Spellbooks of fireball
- Fire horn
- Fire traps
- Fire resistance
- Fireproof items
- Fire ants, fire elementals, fire vortices, flaming spheres, red nagas, pyrolisks, hell hounds, red dragons and salamanders all have fire attacks.
- Extreme heat from Lava, Red molds and Steam vortices causes fire damage.
- You can inflict fire attacks in meleé by wielding the artifact weapon Fire Brand.
- The Plane of Fire is the third of the Elemental Planes
- Accepted sacrifices on a neutral or chaotic altar explode in a burst of flame. Thankfully, this flame does not interact with you, so you have to worry about neither burning nor boiling potions.
- features the new role of Flame Mage and the artifact athame named Firewall, which deals fire damage.
- The following SLASH'EM monsters have fire attacks: lava blobs, hellcats, hellrats, movanic devas, hellbats, fire vampires, wax golems, ruby golems, and crystal golems.