Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The term monster frequency applies to random monsters generation, as opposed to deliberate polymorph results and more specific ways of monster generation. It refers to a number which can technically range 0-7 (though 6 and 7 are not used) used internally to determine how frequently a monster is generated; it can be thought of as a relative probability that a particular monster will be selected.
When a monster is randomly being selected, the game picks a random monster subject to the following list of conditions with relative probabilities equal to the ratios of numberic monster frequencies (thus a monster with a 4 is twice as common as a monster with a 2); this can be thought of as generating a list of monsters with each monster appearing a number of times equal to its monster frequency and choosing purely randomly off of this list.
Randomly generated monsters must be:
- No greater in difficulty than the average of the level's difficulty and the player level 
- No lower in difficulty than one-sixth that of the current level's difficulty
- Neither unique nor marked as not randomly generated (G_NOGEN) 
- Not genocided or extinct
- If you are on the rogue level:
- Represented by an upper case letter
- If you are in Gehennom:
- If you are not in Gehennom:
- Not marked as only generated in Gehennom (G_HELL) (e.g. hell hound)
The following terms are used to describe the frequency of a monster in the infobox on monsters' pages:
|0||Not randomly generated|