Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Name an individual item
- Call a class of items (that is, all the items of that type, such as all steel wands)
#naming individual items Edit
These are a few reasons to rename an individual item with #name, with an example for each:
- Roleplay (naming your primary weapon "Stinging Blow" because of the amount of damage you can do with it)
- Reminders (naming an item you suspect is cursed, etc.)
- Certain artifacts can be generated by naming a weapon of their base class (Sting, Orcrist)
- To keep items from stacking in your inventory, you can name stacks of them differently. This is useful when using confused blessed scrolls of remove curse to generate holy water and unholy water
- Names of important items are often used to keep notes on games, especially in games played by multiple people (see robin)
- Naming the Amulet of Yendor will allow you to identify it from all the fakes if you drop it or it gets stolen
- Abusing the artifact naming trick will allow you to identify some specific items
- Individual names will not be forgotten
#naming a class of items Edit
- Keeping track of the possibilities for items you find after applying various object identification tests, such as engrave testing
- Naming a scroll will let you write scrolls of that type as though it were identified (obviously you also have to actually know what that type is, or have named all scrolls in that price group so it can be written successfully no matter which of those it happens to be)
- Some classes of items can not be named in this way, notably weapons and comestibles.
- Seeing the difference between items which look the same. For example to know what gray stone you just found. If you already called touchstones luckstones and flintstones you can avoid loadstones easier.
Removing a name Edit
To remove the name given to an object or class of objects, enter a name that consists only of spaces. If you simply press enter at the name prompt, you will cancel your naming attempt and the object will keep its previous name.