Rumors are a way to learn about the game without reading spoilers. Rumors come in two forms: true and false. The true ones are useful hints, while the false ones are useless or incorrect.
- The Oracle always tells you a true rumor when you pay for a minor consultation.
- The following items give you a true rumor if blessed, a false rumor if cursed and either if uncursed:
- You can sometimes find rumors in the dust on the dungeon floor. Sometimes these can be difficult to read.
- You can write something on the dungeon floor, then engrave with a wand of polymorph to get a rumor.
- Rumor #330: Throwing food at a wild dog might tame him.
This encourages the player to throw tripe at dogs to tame them.
- Rumor #47: Eating a freezing sphere is like eating a yeti.
- Rumor #326: They say the gods get angry if you kill your dog.
- Rumor #7: A cockatrice corpse is guaranteed to be untainted!
- Rumor #157: Sorry, no fortune this time. Better luck next cookie!
This is just plain useless.
- Rumor #195: They say that a hacker named David once slew a giant with a sling and a rock.
Some false rumours are just random references to random things.
- Source:rumors.tru — the data file that contains all the true rumors
- Source:rumors.fal — the data file that contains all the false rumors
- Rumor messages — explains the meaning of each rumor