If you use an item with limited uses in a shop before paying for it and in the presence of a shopkeeper, you will be charged a usage fee. This includes items with charges, spellbooks and non-permanent light sources.
Messages associated with usage feesEdit
- "This is no free library, cad!" - spellbooks
- "That will cost you (n) zorkmids (Yendorian Fuel Tax)." - potions of oil
- "Usage fee, (n) zorkmids."; - anything else
Each of these messages has a one-in-three chance of being prefaced with "Hey!" or "Ahem."
Usages fees are a percentage (rounded down) of the item's normal cost:
|Item class||Usage Fee||Notes|
|Magic lamp||See below||See below|
|Magic marker||50%||No matter how many charges are used, or even if the use was successful|
|Bag of tricks|
Horn of plenty
|Can of grease|
|All other chargeable tools|
|25%||Only if the item had any charges|
|Potion of oil||20%|
The usage fee of a magic lamp depends on how it is used:
- 'a'pplying it will be charged as if it had the price of an oil lamp
- #rubbing it will, if a djinni is released, have a usage fee of 133%
In general, it is preferable to buy the item first (credit_cloning), or even buy&use&sell it. One exception are low-level spellbooks: By the time the spell expires, your character is most likely either dead or stinking rich.